Into the Woods is a delightful exploration about wishes, family and the choices we make as told through several familiar fairy tale characters by the inimitable Brothers Grimm.
The story follows a Baker and his wife who wish to have a child, Cinderella who wishes to attend the King’s Festival, and Jack who wishes his cow would give milk. When the Baker and the Baker’s Wife learn that they cannot have a child because of a Witch’s curse, the two set off on a journey to break the curse. Everyone’s wish is granted, but the consequences of their actions return to haunt them later with disastrous results.
One of Sondheim’s most popular works, Into the Woods is a musically sophisticated show with the opportunity to feature singing actors adept at dark comedy.
This powerful production inspired by the Brothers Grimm reminds us to be careful what you wish for. A baker and his wife wish for children but due to a witches curse are unable. On their journey to find the ingredients that will reverse the witch’s spell – hair as yellow as corn, a cow white as milk, a blood-red cape and a slipper made of gold – the baker and his wife meet Cinderella, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood and Jack of the Beanstalk. Each character in this Sondheim classic is in search of the key to fulfilling their wishes. But what happens beyond happily ever after? Is it “Agony” or something else?
- Narrator/Mysterious Man/Cinderella’s Father: Michael C. Mensching
- Baker: Adam M. Coons
- Bakers Wife: Erica Buda-Doran
- The Witch: Shelly Ley
- Cinderella: Eliza Figueroa
- Jack: Jesse Cohen – Greenberg
- Little Red: Madalyn Montgomery
- Jack’s Mother: Mellisa Putterman-Hoffman
- Cinderella’s Prince/Wolf: Shawn Olander-Hahn
- Rupunzel: Elizabeth Sterling
- Rupunzel’s Prince: Nick Foster
- Florinda: Sarah Corbett
- Lucinda: Kyra Fitzgerald
- Stepmother: Janice Walz
- Steward: Stephen Redmond
- Granny/C.Mother/Giant: Joanne Mensching
- Director: Brian Sheldon
- Music Director: Alex Malsan
- Producer: Joanne Dame Peal
- Scenic Design: Adam M. Coons
- Lighting Design: Matthew Dembling
- Sound Design: Sarah Katz
- Costume Design: Beth Ruman