Is there anything more exciting, frightening and utterly transformational than impending parenthood?
“Baby” tells the story of three couples on a university campus as they deal with the painful, rewarding and agonizingly funny consequences of this universal experience. There are the college students, barely at the beginning of their adult lives; the thirty-somethings, having trouble conceiving but determined to try; and the middle aged parents, looking forward to seeing their last child graduate from college when a night of unexpected passion lands them back where they started.
With a book by Sybille Pearson, the original production, nominated for 7 Tony Awards and 6 Drama Desk Awards (winning two), hit Broadway in 1983. Performers included Liz Callaway, Beth Fowler, and future screenwriter Todd Graff (Used People, The Beautician and the Beast). The writers, Richard Maltby, Jr. (lyricist of Miss Saigon and The Pirate Queen) and David Shire (Academy Award-winning composer of “It Goes Like It Goes” from Norma Rae) have created numerous on- and off-Broadway shows, including Big, Closer Than Ever, Starting Here, Starting Now and Take Flight.
- Danny: Sev Moro
- Lizzie: Judi Lombino
- Nick: Edwin Graham
- Pam: Joan M. Horgan
- Alan: Mark Anthony Burgasser
- Arlene: Gail Garrison
- Narrator: Rhonda Rosen
- Nurse I: Jacqueline Bee
- Nurse II: Barbara Mahlmann
- Doctor: Ken Zarnoch
- Professor Weiss: Christopher Trombley
- Dean Webber: Ken Zarnoch
- Mr. Hart: Thomas D. Bambury
- Ensemble: Thomas D. Bambury, Jacqueline Bee, Linda Howe, Barbara Mahlmann, Rhonda Rosen, Loretta Romero, Christopher Trombley, and Ken Zarnoch
- Producer: Thelma Zeh
- Director: Paul C. Pape
- Music Directors: Mark Brockley and Marc Astafan
- Choreographer: Linda Panzner
- Asst Director: Joseph A. Agostine, Jr.
- Producer Intern: Quency René
- Set Design: David Perriman
- Set Construction: Don Countermine
- Stage Manager: Matthew Teichner
- Lighting Design and Execution: Marion Foster, Jean Dowd
- Sound: Chuck LaMalfa, Alan Angelo
- Costume Design: Peggy Gerardi
- Make-up Design: Marcie Tenace
- Properties: Steve Kilgore